Mathematics teaches us how to make sense of the world around us through developing a child’s ability to calculate, to reason, to be financially responsible and to solve problems. It enables children to understand and appreciate relationships and patterns in their everyday lives. Through their growing knowledge and understanding, children learn to appreciate the contribution made by many cultures to the development and application of mathematics.
At Leamington Community Primary School, we aim to develop numerate children who are confident with number and understand mathematical calculations, in order to develop key problem solving skills. We promote ‘Numeracy for Life’ and we believe that Mathematics provides children with the essential life skills of:
- Understanding number and calculation
- Problem solving
- Reasoning skills
- Financial understanding
At Leamington Community Primary School, we provide children with a fun but focused Maths curriculum, ensuring the children develop the skills to become equipped for adult life. We adopt a fully inclusive, mind-friendly approach to teaching and learning in Mathematics where children are challenged sufficiently in a supportive environment with real-life links and access to financial vocabulary. Assessment for learning allows children and teachers to review the strategies and methods used in the lessons thus always moving learning on.
Liverpool Counts Quality Mark:
Leamington Community Primary School was awarded the Gold standard Liverpool Counts Quality Mark. This is presented to schools who have proven they aim to raise standards in numeracy and mathematics by changing attitudes and perceptions through the delivery of the Liverpool Counts quality mark and the promotion of the importance of numeracy as a life skill through business links and cultural opportunities.
As part of this, year six pupils have been appointed as Maths Ambassadors and run the lunchtime, ‘Maths Hub’ which provides a chance for children to play Maths games and solve puzzles with the help of the Maths ambassadors. This group of Year 6 children are promoting Maths across the school and meet to discuss how we can improve Maths at Leamington.
Assemblies to promote ‘Numeracy for Life’ skills were introduced and encouraged a love of Maths in all pupils. Posters were placed around school to show children how our staff use Maths outside of the classroom. Displays around the school aim to promote problem solving and real-life connections.
- To develop numerate children through the ‘mastery approach’ and ‘Numeracy for life’.
- Ensure every child is confident and enthusiastic when approaching Mathematical problems.
- Provide children with the skills to use and apply Mathematics in different contexts.
- Provide children with the vocabulary to talk about and explain Mathematical concepts.
- Provide children with an exciting Maths curriculum which is embedded in real life situations and practical problem solving.
- Ensure children are familiar with financial vocabulary and are equipped to deal with finances in adult life.
- Use ICT to enhance learning and teaching of Mathematics.
- Use a variety of learning styles and resources to cater for all children’s needs.
- Promote positive attitudes to Maths.
Take a look at the following important documents: