Welcome to Year 6
Mrs Baxter, Mr Daniels and Mrs Mellor are looking forward to a busy term leading up to SATs. Miss Evans will also be returning this term from maternity leave and we are excited to welcome her back.
We would like to emphasise how important attendance is during this year. Being in school every day is vital for Year 6 children to avoid missing important topics as there is lots to learn leading to SATs at the end of this academic year.
Our main topic this half term is, ‘World War Two’. Throughout this topic, we will move towards a Geography focus. Children will find out about WW2 and the countries involved. They will look at locating places on different maps; identifying urban and rural features of the places as well as describing locations using compass points of an eight point compass.
Our Science topic is ‘Evolution’. We will explore the way that species have evolved over time, looking at similarities and differences and inheritance. We will also look at fossils – the different types of fossils, how they are formed and what they tell us about the past.
We hope you are ready for your final year of hard work at Leamington. Year 6 is a very challenging (but rewarding!) year.
Some important information for Year 6 is:
- PE will take place every Thursday – PE kits must be in school please. There will also be an after-school club following the PE lesson.
- Spellings will be practised on a Wednesday.
- Homework will be given out every Friday and should be returned to school by Wednesday.
- A homework club takes place every Tuesday morning before school. Breakfast is provided!
- A further homework club will take place on a lunchtime.
- Guitars will continue every Monday.
- Spanish lessons will continue every Tuesday.
Year 6 teachers would like to encourage children to bring in water bottles and a piece of fruit for snack, if they wish. Book bags should be brought in everyday so children do not miss any opportunities to read to any adult.