Aims and objectives
Geography teaches an understanding of places and environments. Through their work in geography, children learn about their local area and compare their life in this area with that in other regions in the United Kingdom and in the rest of the world. They learn how to draw and interpret maps and they develop the skills of research, investigation, analysis and problem-solving. Through their growing knowledge and understanding of human geography, children gain an appreciation of life in other cultures. Geography teaching also motivates children to find out about the physical world and enables them to recognise the importance of sustainable development for the future of mankind.
The aims of geography are:
- To inspire pupil’s curiosity and fascination about the world and its people that will remain with them for the rest of their lives.
- To equip pupils with knowledge about diverse places, people, resources and natural and human environments, together with a deep understanding of the Earth’s key physical and human processes.
- To provide children with a growing knowledge about the world which will help them to deepen their understanding of the interaction between physical and human processes, and of the formation and use of landscapes and environments.
- To provide the frameworks and approaches that explain how the Earth’s features at different scales are shaped, interconnected and change over time.
- To allow children to learn graphic skills, including how to use, draw and interpret maps;
- To enable children to know and understand environmental problems at a local, regional and global level;
- To develop a variety of other skills, including those of enquiry, problem solving, computing, investigation and how to present their conclusions in the most appropriate way.
- If you would like to know more take a look at our:Geography Policy 2018
We like to use games and interactive resources to teach our children about the world and key geographical issues. Below are some links to websites with geographical games or websites to help children research and explore the world around them.
Promoting Geography around our school
In our school we take great pride in creating interactive and engaging displays which support and celebrate children’s learning. Take a look at Geography around our school: