At Leamington Community Primary School we aim to teach Geography in a fun, engaging and motivating way. We teach the children an understanding of places and environments. Through their work in geography, children learn about their local area and compare their life in this area with that in other regions in the United Kingdom and in the rest of the world. Children will learn how to draw and interpret maps and they will develop the skills of research, investigation, analysis and problem-solving. Through their growing knowledge and understanding of human geography, children will gain an appreciation of life in other cultures. Geography teaching also motivates children to find out about the physical world and enables them to recognise the importance of sustainable development for the future of mankind
The aims of geography are:
- to enable children to gain knowledge and understanding of places in the world;
- to increase children’s knowledge of other cultures and, in so doing, teach a respect and understanding of what it means to be a positive citizen in a multi-cultural country;
- to allow children to learn graphic skills, including how to use, draw and interpret maps;
- to enable children to know and understand environmental problems at a local, regional and global level;
- to encourage in children a commitment to sustainable development and an appreciation of what ‘global citizenship’ means;
- to develop a variety of other skills, including those of enquiry, problem solving, ICT, investigation and how to present their conclusions in the most appropriate way.
If you would like to know more take a look at our:
Promoting Geography around our school
In our school we take great pride in creating interactive and engaging displays which support and celebrate children’s learning. Take a look at Geography around our school:
Children are also welcome to join the KS2 Geography club. We will be completing fun and exciting activities linking Geography and the Arts. This will include:
- Using maps and sketching maps
- Creating a variety of Geography inspired art work
- Experiencing other cultures through music and food.
We will also be looking for Geography Ambassadors through this club to promote Geography throughout the school. This is an exciting opportunity for the ambassadors to encourage other children to enjoy Geography and have an important role throughout the school.
The Geography club will be held each Monday from 3-4pm. If you would like to join please see Miss Coleman.
*A Geography club will start in the Summer Term for KS1 children.