Mathematics teaches us how to make sense of the world around us through developing a child’s ability to calculate, to reason and to solve problems. It enables children to understand and appreciate relationships and patterns in their everyday lives. Through their growing knowledge and understanding, children learn to appreciate the contribution made by many cultures to the development and application of mathematics.
At Leamington Community Primary School we aim to develop numerate children who are confident with number and understand mathematical calculations, in order to develop key problem solving skills. We promote ‘Numeracy for Life’ and we believe that Mathematics provides children with the essential life skills of:
- Understanding number and calculation
- Problem solving
- Reasoning skills
At Leamington Community Primary School, we provide children with a fun but focussed Maths curriculum, providing the children with the skills to become equipped for adult life. We adopt a fully inclusive, mind-friendly approach to teaching and learning in Mathematics where children are challenged sufficiently in a supportive environment with real-life links. Assessment for learning allows children and teachers to review the strategies and methods used in the lessons thus always moving learning on.
- To develop numerate children through the ‘mastery approach’ and ‘Numeracy for life’.
- Ensure every child is confident and enthusiastic when approaching Mathematical problems.
- Provide children with the skills to use and apply Mathematics in different contexts.
- Provide children with the vocabulary to talk about and explain Mathematical concepts.
- Provide children with an exciting Maths curriculum which is embedded in real life situations and practical problem solving.
- Use ICT to enhance learning and teaching of Mathematics.
- Use a variety of learning styles and resources to cater for all children’s needs.
- Promote positive attitudes to Maths.
Take a look at the following important documents: