Welcome to Year 6
This will be a very busy half term leading up to SATs. As you are probably aware, Miss Evans will be leaving us in this half term to have her baby and we wish her all the best. Mrs Mellor and Mr Daniels will be working with Mrs Baxter and Miss Lynch to support the year sixes in the lead up to SATs
We would like to emphasise how important attendance is during the rest of this year. Being in school every day is vital for Year 6 children to avoid missing important topics as there is lots to learn leading to SATs in the next half term.
Our main topic this half term is, ‘WW2’. Throughout this topic, children will delve into the story of Goodnight Mr Tom, through the means of drama and narrative. They will find out about WW2, the important events within the war and how people felt – with a focus on children and evacuation.
For our Science topic, we will continue to study ‘Evolution’. We will explore the way that species have evolved over time, looking at similarities and differences and inheritance. We will also look our bodies and how they are suited to different tasks and in what way.
We hope you are ready for your final year of hard work at Leamington. Year 6 is a very challenging (but rewarding!) year.
Some important information for Year 6 is:
- PE will take place every Tuesday – PE kits must be in school please.
- Spellings will be given out and tested the following Thursday.
- Homework will be given out every Friday and should be returned to school by Wednesday.
- A homework club takes place every Tuesday morning before school. Breakfast is provided!
- A further homework club will take place on a Monday lunchtime.
- Guitars will continue every Monday.
- Spanish lessons will continue every Tuesday.
Year 6 teachers would like to encourage children to bring in water bottles and a piece of fruit for snack, if they wish. Book bags should be brought in everyday so children do not miss any opportunities to read to any adult.