Welcome to Year 6
Mrs Baxter, Mr Daniels and Mrs Mellor are looking forward to a successful first half term. We would like to emphasise how important attendance is during this year. Being in school every day is vital for Year 6 children to avoid missing important topics as there is lots to learn leading to SATs at the end of this academic year.
Our main topic this term is focusing on ancient civilisations, aiming to answer the question, “Who were the Mayans and what have we learnt from them?” Children will have opportunities to work practically creating timelines and examining artefacts as well as many opportunities for independent research and locating settlements on a map.
Our Science topic is ‘Classification and adaptation in animals’. We will explore the habitats of animals and the ways in which they have adapted to suit their environments.
We hope you are ready for your final year of hard work at Leamington. Year 6 is a very challenging (but rewarding!) year.
Some important information for Year 6 is:
- Swimming will take place every Friday – swimming kits must be in school please. P.E. kits should be in school for any other PE opportunities.
- Homework will be given out every Friday and should be returned to school by Wednesday.
- A homework club takes place every Tuesday morning before school. Breakfast is provided!
- A further homework club will take place on a lunchtime.
- Guitars will take place on Monday.
- Spanish lessons will continue every Tuesday.
Year 6 teachers would like to encourage children to bring in water bottles and a piece of fruit for snack, if they wish. Book bags should be brought in everyday so children do not miss any opportunities to read to any adult.