Welcome to Year 6
The Year 6 team would like to welcome back all our children after, hopefully, a relaxing Christmas break. We are looking forward to a busy half term as we start our preparations for SATs.
We would like to emphasise how important attendance is during this year. Being in school every day is vital for Year 6 children to avoid missing important topics as there is lots to learn leading to SATs at the end of this academic year.
Our main topic this half term is, ‘World War Two’. Throughout this topic, we will move towards a History focus. Children will find out when and why WW2 began and ended and what life was like for an evacuee. They will also look into the lives of different prominent figures during the 6 years of the war.
Our Science topic is ‘Evolution’. The children will explore the way that species have evolved over time, looking at similarities and differences and inheritance. We will also look at fossils – the different types of fossils, how they are formed and what they tell us about the past.
We would like to say how proud we are of our Year 6 children for the progress they have made so far and hope you are ready for your final year of hard work at Leamington. Year 6 is a very challenging (but rewarding!) year.
Some important information for Year 6 is:
- Ukuleles will continue every Monday.
- Homework will be given out every Monday and should be returned by the following Friday.
- PE will continue to take place on Mondays or Tuesdays (depending on which class your child is in). We have our fantastic new PE kits in school for all children but please ensure they keep a pair of suitable trainers or pumps in school for the lesson each week.
- Children have logins to TTRockstars, Mathletics and Maths Whizz and should try to access these daily at home.
- Please continue to read daily at home with your child and send books in everyday so they never miss a chance to read with an adult in school.
- Year 6 teachers would like to encourage children to bring in water bottles and a piece of fruit for snack, if they wish.